Rossi: "I remember Sic with a smile"


Marco Simoncelli e Valentino Rossi

It's difficult for Valentino Rossi to put his feelings into words right now, and to explain all the thoughts and emotions that continue to run through his head. Less than two weeks have passed since the incident which took the life of Marco Simoncelli, and nothing is as it was before in the paddock at Valencia: "There is no point in denying that it's a difficult moment, a strange weekend, but racing is the best way to honor Marco - the Ducati rider said, trying to keep his emotions in check - These past few days I've tried to spend as much time as possible with his family. I've lost a friend and this void in my life is impossible to fill."

The images from the funeral are still fresh in everyone's minds, including the incredible outpouring of affection for Marco. "So many people showed they cared about him - Vale continued - and even in this terrible situation there was a beautiful atmosphere. I spoke about this with his father, Paolo, and the public reaction was very moving. You realize how many people liked him. Marco was a fun person both on and off the track, and the type of rider who makes you a fan of this sport. He deserved such a tribute."

The Sic that Rossi will remember most is the one from their private time together. "The one you could race karts with, or ride motocross bikes with. There isn't a single memory I have of him that doesn't bring a smile to my face, because Marco was so easy to have fun with. I have just one regret, and it's that we never got to have a good battle in MotoGP. Last year I was a little stronger, and this year he was stronger. I wanted to give it a try at Misano, but he was faster than me."

Also fresh in his mind, unfortunately, is the incident itself, involving both Rossi and Edwards: "It happened in an instant. I was behind Colin - Rossi explained - and Marco basically cut right in front of us. It was impossible to avoid him. Marco was a very physical rider, also because of his size, and when the bike started sliding he stayed on it, trying to save it from crashing. Unfortunately his body acted like a pivot, making the bike head towards the inside rather than the outside of the track."

Tomorrow will be Valentino's first time on a MotoGP since the accident. "I never thought about quitting. I don't think that's the right response to what happened. I've been back on a bike in the last few days, and essentially us riders grow up doing this. It's what makes us happy. The feeling I got from riding was good, but maybe on a MotoGP it will be different." Rossi also talked about his younger brother Luca Marini, who is just starting his racing career. "He needs to keep on doing what he wants. We all know that certain tragedies can happen, and there is no point in hiding it."

To pay tribute to his fallen friend, the Doctor will wear a special helmet during the race. "I'm not telling you anything about it; you will see it in two days."

And Sic will see it too, from up above, where the music of the engines will be playing just for him.

0 comments: