Alvaro Bautista explains defection to Gresini Honda


Bautista in action on the Gresini Honda
Bautista in action on the Gresini Honda

Former Rizla Suzuki MotoGP rider Alvaro Bautista has explained his defection to the sateliite San Carlo Honda squad, saying that he couldn't wait any longer for Suzuki to make a decision on its future in racing after he had already missed the chance to switch to 1000cc power with Yamaha.

At the Valencia test, Bautista took great pains to explain he switched because he wanted to ride a competitive, litre-powered bike next year and it had nothing to do with the team or setup. The Spaniard has an offer to join Tech3 at Phillip Island but he opted to contine to wait for Suzuki's decision which is expected today (Friday, November 11).

"I leave Suzuki only for the technical side. The persons they are are fantastic, I am very happy with the work I did there. I want to say sorry to the team but the technical plan for next year was not the best for me and I thought the best way to have a competitive bike was to change teams," said Bautista, speaking to bikesportnews.com.

"For me, I was waiting four months but for sure in the last two weeks there was more pressure because I lost the chance to go with Yamaha just to wait on Suzuki and then when it was the same situation, nothing clear, I had to find other teams that don't remain with the 800c bike because next year it will be quite impossible to be competitive. Next year I want to ride a 1000cc bike.

"I am very happy for next year to be with this team and this bike, I will do my maximum. It was very a very positive test for me because I understand now how is this bike and it's very different from Suzuki. It is good for the mind because next time at the Sepang test I will arrive with more clear things in mind. I will know the bike and what to expect there."

De Angelis to line up with NGM Forward Racing in 2012


De Angelis and Forward Racing Moto2 2012

The rider from San Marino, who finished fourth in this year’s Moto2 Championship, will ride with the team in the intermediate category next season.

Alex de Angelis will tackle the 2012 Moto2 World Championship on board a Suter machine with the NGM Forward Racing team, having signed a deal with the set-up for next season.

The rider from San Marino, who finished fourth overall in the 2011 Moto2 campaign, and the team are targeting a title challenge and team CEO Giovanni Cuzari said: “Alex is not just a rider for me, but for many years he has also been a dear friend and I had always hoped to build a team with him. For me this agreement is the realisation of a small dream and personally I’m convinced that it is the right choice to be able to aspire to the best possible results in 2012.”

De Angelis commented: “This season ended well and not only did we take a victory and a podium but we also showed great consistency. For this I thank everyone involved with the JiR Team and for everything they have done for me in the past year-and-a-half we’ve worked together. Now I look to the future and I have chosen to work with Forward Racing, with whom I share a passion for this sport. Together we want to be one of the main title challengers in Moto2 and I’m sure the team’s knowledge will give me the best chance possible of having a great season. I can’t wait to get started and we will have a three-day Test at Jerez later this month which will be very important before the winter break.”

Zarco looks forward to 2012 with JiR

Team JiR Moto2 line-up 2012 Zarco Granado

The Frenchman and Brazilian youngster Eric Granado will be the team’s Moto2 line-up for next season.

Johann Zarco will make the step up to the Moto2 category next season after the JiR Team confirmed earlier this weekend that the Frenchman will be on one of their MotoBI machines in 2012.

Zarco tested at Valencia on Monday with the team and having finished runner-up in this year’s 125cc World Championship is now ready for the step up. Joining him from the Silverstone round onwards next season will be Brazilian Eric Granado, who will have to wait for his 16th birthday before reaching the required age to compete in the World Championship.

Gianluca Montiron, JiR Team Prinicipal:
“We are very excited about this new adventure that will help us to build a long-term path focused on the ultimate success in this class. Johann has already shown his capabilities, he can rely on his youth and the fact that he has just started his racing career. He is well motivated and well supported by his manager Laurent Fellon.”

“On the other side Eric will benefit of all the time he will need to adapt to a new world of racing, to learn new circuits and to discover Moto2's secrets. We have built up a five-year program that includes his presence in Europe with the combination of his school studies together with racing.”

“I believe that in one's life sometimes daring is necessary and this belief has pushed me to develop this Moto2 plan that will have to be a stepping stone to the premier class. To make this programme grow it will be necessary to have full contribution and co-operation of all the sponsors that are willing to make this pledge for the future beside us.”

Johann Zarco:
“I am happy to be racing next year with Team JiR because it is a team that is already known and has had some very good results. From the meetings I had with the team's management I realised that there are some very ambitious goals that they are aiming for, which is also in line with our expectations of being able to do well in Moto2. It certainly will not be easy, but I am ready to engage with Laurent (Fellon, manager) to work hard and figure out how to be fast on a Moto2 machine. Finally, I am convinced that the JiR Team will give me the opportunity to make good results.”

Eric Granado:
“First of all, I would like to thank Team JiR for the chance of being able to participate in the 2012 season. For me it is a new step and a new stage in my life, I am very excited to ride in the Moto2 class, I know it is a very competitive category and with very experienced riders, however it pleases me very much to get this chance. Next year I want to be able to learn a lot with my new team and to improve my level and capability day-by-day , therefore I have much more yet to learn, as I am inexperienced in this category but I am certain that with hard work and devotion, I will adapt well to the MotoBI. I am super confident for next season and we will all work very hard together, mainly in the pre-season, because it will be essential for my development and relationship with Team JiR for my start in the Championship.”

0 comments: