MotoGP Phillip Island: Redding on the pace with new chassis

MotoGP Phillip Island: Redding on the pace with new chassis

15/10/2011

Redding exits the final turn at Phillip Island during practice yesterday
Redding exits the final turn at Phillip Island during practice yesterday

MarcVDS Moto2 rider Scott Redding was narrowly beaten to pole position for tomorrow's Phillip Island encounter, holding top spot in a rain-hit qualifying session on the new 2012-spec Suter MMXII frame and swingarm package.

The youngster set the fastest time early on and then rain began to fall with the track only drying out with a few minutes to spare. He eventually finished in fourth, just off the front row, on a bike he hadn't even had a chance to test before the weekend.

“I’m not disappointed that I didn’t get pole position but there was a point where I was thinking I hope we get a monsoon so I could stay in first. When it started raining it was quite heavy, so I was thinking it was never going to dry up and pole would be mine," said Redding.

"I got in one fast lap at the end when I needed to and I’m happy about that because the pressure was on and the track conditions weren’t perfect. I can’t be too disappointed to be fourth on a bike I’ve never even had chance to test. We made a change for qualifying because I was struggling a bit to get into the low 35s this morning and immediately the bike felt awesome. It was a gamble that’s paid off and tomorrow I’m sure like last year we’ll be fighting for the podium."

0 comments: